Board of Adjustment


  • 3rd Monday of each month, 6:00 p.m.

  • City Hall
    214 S Cherokee
    Catoosa, OK 74015


  • Jon Brown

  • Elisa Perryman

  • Mark Whisman

  • Shawn Lunn 

  • Allen Ward 

Agendas & Minutes

Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes


Responsibilities of the Board of Adjustment are to:

  • Hold public hearings on appeals from a Zoning Code Determination by the Zoning Officer

  • Hold public hearings on requests for a Variance from the Zoning Code or a Special Exception use

  • Hold public hearings to make interpretations of the Zoning Map and or Zoning Text

Board of Adjustment Variances

The Board of Adjustment, upon application and after public hearing may grant a variance from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance as follows:

  • A variance shall only be granted if it is determined it shall not cause substantial detriment to the public good or impair the spirit, purposes, and intent of the Zoning Ordinance or the Comprehensive Plan.

  • Variances shall be considered when by reason of exceptional narrowness, shallowness, shape, topography, or other extraordinary or exceptional situation, condition or circumstance peculiar to a particular property, the literal enforcement of the Zoning Ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship.

  • The Board shall not vary any jurisdictional requirement, such as notice.

  • In the incorporated area, the Board shall not permit by variance a principal use not otherwise permitted in the applicable Zoning District

No nonconforming use of neighboring lands, structures or buildings in the same Zoning District and no permitted or nonconforming use of land, structures, or building in other Districts shall be considered grounds for the issuance of a variance. A variance that has not been utilized within one year from the date it was approved by the Board will thereafter be void, unless the Board has extended the time for utilization. Utilization means actual use or issuance of a Building Permit, when applicable, provided construction is diligently carried to completion.

Variance Request

A request for a variance must be made by filing an application with the Building Inspector. The applicant must submit with the application a list certified by a Licensed Bonded Abstractor of the names and addresses of all property owners of record within 300 feet of the affected property, as well as the legal descriptions of each property. The request will then be set for public hearing.